I like it when people have passion for their craft. Doesn’t matter what their craft is, but I like it when they give a shit about it.
The guys at Eastside Deli on SE Hawthorn in Portland, OR give a shit about sandwiches. Here’s why:
- We had an intelligent conversation about spreads.
- They were able to make recommendations on what meats should be combined.
- Eastside deli proudly puts Boar’s Head deli meats on all of their subs.
- They offer the option to toast your sandwich. And not with one of those phony toasters (like a certain chain of subshops we all know). They use a REAL toaster. And I wouldn’t feel weird about asking them to double-toast my sandwich.
- They listened when I told them that they need to add Turkey Pastrami to their menu.
- They have big-ass sandwiches – BUT (and this is the key) they are smart enough to wrap each half individually. Only a true sandwich aficionado would know to do this. And obviously, they use butcher paper – not that foo foo tissue paper bullshit.
As for the sandwich – it was good. They only offer two turkey flavors (mesquite and low salt) so I was a little limited on my meat selection. I’d also like to see some addtional cheese offerings. But I love the selection of spreads and toppings as well as the love they put into their craft.
Interestingly, I enjoyed the second half of my sandwich the next morning and I liked it better. Maybe that gave the horseradish and sun dried tomato spreads a little extra time to marinate the sandwich.
My advice to East Side Deli: expand the menu just a little. But keep doing what you’re doing. As long as you don’t fucking start cutting corners, you’ll be fine. I’ll be back in a few weeks to check on you.