Day 2 of Turkey Sandwich Madness. Today we head to the Sliced Bread Region. Lots of good action today, so let’s get right to it.
- In our first match-up, we have a battle of Colorado with #1 seed, Zoka’s of Pine, CO takes on Denver’s Walnut Room. On paper, this is a rout. But I eat at the Walnut Room a lot more than Zoka’s. And the Walnut Room makes a solid sandwich. But with all of that said, Zoka’s prevails in a squeaker because their bread is better.
- In our second match-up, we have Pat’s Philly Cheesesteaks vs. Loco’s. At one point, I considered Pat’s to be one of the giants of the Turkey Sandwich industry. Since then, they have fallen off a little as grew a little tired of the Gobbler. Loco’s had a great showing in my last visit to Georgia, but in the end Pat’s survives and advances because thinking about their regular Turkey Sandwich makes me very hungry right now.
- Newcomer Brick Store takes on old standby Panera (St. Louis) Bread in our next pairing. I’ve eaten at both places in the last week and was impressed with both: Brick Store and their Grilled Turkey and Panera with their Smokehouse Turkey. But Brick Store pulls away in the end because of their spicy mustard. Mmmm…damn that sounds good right now.
- In our final match-up, we have the unseeded Lori’s Boar’s Head Deli from Evergreen, CO takes on Heidi’s Brooklyn Deli. Heidi’s got their seed mostly due to their ranking in the Turkey Top 10. To be honest, I’ve only been to Heidi’s a couple times and I think they were grossly overrated. Lori’s Boar’s Head Deli ROLLS in what looks like an upset, but really isn’t.
Next round in the Sliced Bread Region:
- Zoka’s vs. Pat’s
- Brick Store vs. Lori’s Boar’s Head Deli