It’s hard to believe, but I don’t think I’ve ever discussed how to properly serve a BBQ Turkey Sandwich. I have to admit, that I never really knew how to do this until I moved to Texas. But having lived there for six years and eaten plenty o’ BBQ Turkey Sandwiches while I was there, I know my shit.
First of all, here are the ingredients and plate presentation:
- Sliced (the Turkey is usually smoked)
- Dill Pickles – sliced in Hamburger Chip style
- Sliced White Onions
- Sliced bread – usually White
- BBQ Sauce – in an unlimited supply
- (keep in mind that the meat is interchangeable – brisket, turkey, chicken – I just prefer Turkey)
- Smother the Turkey with the sauce.
- Put the Turkey on the bread and top with the Pickles and Onions
That’s how you do it. And I’m shocked that someone could open up a BBQ joint and not know this shit. At Big Papa’s BBQ in Littleton tonight, they looked at me like a leper tonight when I asked for bread and pickles and more sauce to accompany my Smoked Turkey. Sorry, but a big hunk of Turkey (by itself) on a plate doesn’t do it for me.
To top it all off, they didn’t get the bread or pickles right. They brought out a hoagie roll and sweet pickles.
Big Papa – Get your BBQ shit together.